Pharyngitis is the inflammation of the pharynx, which is the tissue that covers the back of the throat. Pharyngitis causes symptoms such as sore throat, difficulty swallowing, cough, fever, hoarseness, and can be caused by viral or bacterial infections. Pharyngitis usually occurs as a complication of diseases such as cold or flu. In some cases, factors such as allergy, smoking, air pollution, reflux can also cause pharyngitis.
Pharyngitis treatment varies depending on the cause and severity of the disease. Viral pharyngitis usually heals on its own and does not require medication. Bacterial pharyngitis may require antibiotic use. There are also some natural remedies that can be applied at home to relieve the symptoms of pharyngitis and speed up the healing process. In this article, you can find answers to questions such as what is good for pharyngitis, how to get rid of it, what are the home remedies without medication.
What is Good for Pharyngitis? 12 Natural Remedies at Home
Here are 12 natural remedies that you can use for pharyngitis treatment at home:
- Sage: Sage is an antiseptic herbal tea that is effective in all diseases. Sage is an answer to the question of what is good for pharyngitis cough, as it cleanses the inflammations in the respiratory tract. This herb, which also cures hoarseness, is recommended to be consumed as tea. In the first days of pharyngitis, you can also gargle with sage for moments that make swallowing difficult. Sage will renew the damaged cells in your throat.
- Ginger: Ginger is known as a spice that has antibiotic effect. Ginger is preferred especially in respiratory tract diseases and in pharyngitis situation. You can easily heal the irritation and inflammation in your throat by drinking ginger with milk. Milk and ginger will relax your breathing. You should definitely try it! The burning and pain sensation caused by coughing will also be eliminated thanks to ginger’s healing property.
- Chamomile Tea: If you are wondering what is good for allergic pharyngitis, the best thing to do is to brew a cup of chamomile tea. Chamomile tea is a tea recommended for stress, but its effect on relieving breathing should not be forgotten. With its cell-renewing and antioxidant properties, it will be a remedy for hoarseness, dry coughs and sore throat.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is an answer to your question of what is good for chronic pharyngitis. If you are tired of constantly coughing and feeling pain in your chest area; you should have plenty of turmeric in your home. Turmeric, with its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, can reduce the discomfort caused by pharyngitis. You can consume turmeric with milk, honey or lemon.
- Garlic: Garlic is known as a natural antibiotic and can be effective in pharyngitis treatment. Garlic kills the germs in the throat, reduces inflammation and strengthens the immune system. You can consume garlic raw, mix it with honey or brew it as tea. You can eat parsley or mint to get rid of garlic smell.
- Tomato Juice: Tomato juice is another natural remedy that is good for pharyngitis. Tomato juice is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants and reduces inflammation in the throat. You can consume tomato juice by heating it and adding some salt and pepper. This mixture will soften your throat and reduce your pain.
- Linden: Linden is one of the most common herbal teas used for sore throat and cough. Linden reduces irritation and swelling in the throat, stops coughing and lowers fever. You can sweeten linden with honey or lemon. Linden also has a calming effect, so if you drink it before bedtime, you can get a better sleep quality.
- Calendula: Calendula is a herb that is good for sore throat and difficulty swallowing caused by pharyngitis. Calendula has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and heals inflammation in the throat. You can buy dried calendula from herbalists and brew it as tea. It is recommended to drink 2-3 cups of calendula tea a day.
- Carrot with Thyme and Honey: Carrot with thyme and honey is a delicious and nutritious mixture that is good for pharyngitis. Thyme kills germs in the throat, while honey softens the throat and carrot supports the immune system with vitamin C. To make carrot with thyme and honey, grate or chop carrots into small pieces. Put them in a pot and add water. When it starts to boil, add thyme and cook for another 15 minutes. Strain and take its water into a jar. Add honey and mix well. You can store this mixture in the refrigerator and consume 3-4 tablespoons a day.
- Honey: Honey is one of the most effective natural substances for pharyngitis treatment. Honey heals wounds in the throat, reduces inflammation, stops coughing and strengthens the immune system. You can consume honey alone or mix it with other ingredients such as milk, lemon, ginger or sage.
- Green Tea: Green tea is another herbal tea that helps to relieve the symptoms caused by pharyngitis. Green tea is rich in antioxidants and polyphenols and prevents inflammation and infection in the throat. You can sweeten green tea with lemon, honey or ginger. Drinking 2-3 cups of green tea a day is enough.
- Onion: Onion is another natural remedy that is good for pharyngitis. Onion has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and kills germs in the throat. You can consume onion raw or squeeze its juice and drink it. You can make onion juice more delicious by mixing it with honey or lemon.
How to Get Rid of Pharyngitis? Prevention and Protection Ways
You can apply the natural remedies we mentioned above for pharyngitis treatment at home. However, these may not be enough for pharyngitis to go away. In addition, you should also consider the following prevention and protection ways:
- Drink plenty of fluids. Water, herbal teas, fruit juices, broth and other fluids keep your throat moist and reduce inflammation.
- Avoid foods and drinks that irritate your throat. Spicy, sour, acidic, carbonated, alcoholic foods and drinks can burn your throat and increase your pain.
- Do not smoke and stay away from smoke. Smoke dries out your throat, irritates it and increases the risk of infection.
- Keep your throat warm. Wrap a scarf or shawl around your neck or apply a warm compress. This way you can increase blood circulation in your throat and speed up healing.
- Rest your throat. Avoid talking or shouting. Straining your vocal cords can worsen inflammation in your throat.
- Stay away from allergens. Dust, pollen, animal hair and other allergens can cause itching and swelling in your throat. Therefore, take necessary precautions to protect yourself from allergens.
- Wash your hands frequently. Washing your hands is the simplest and most effective way to protect yourself from viral or bacterial infections. Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and rinse well.
How Long Does Pharyngitis Last?
How long pharyngitis lasts depends on the cause and severity of the disease. Viral pharyngitis usually heals within 7-10 days. Bacterial pharyngitis heals within 10-14 days with antibiotic treatment. However, sometimes pharyngitis can become chronic and last for months. In this case, it should be investigated whether there is another underlying cause.
When to See a Doctor for Pharyngitis?
Pharyngitis is usually not a serious disease and can be treated at home. However, it can sometimes lead to complications or be a symptom of another disease. Therefore, you should see a doctor in the following situations:
- If the symptoms of pharyngitis last more than 10 days
- If you have fever, difficulty breathing, severe pain in swallowing, swelling or abscess in the throat or other serious symptoms
- If pharyngitis recurs frequently
- If pharyngitis is associated with another disease such as allergy, reflux, sinusitis
Summary and Conclusion
Pharyngitis is the inflammation of the pharynx, which is the back of the throat, and can be caused by viral or bacterial infections. The symptoms of pharyngitis include sore throat, difficulty swallowing, cough, fever, hoarseness. Medication may be required for pharyngitis treatment. There are also natural remedies that can be applied at home. These natural remedies include sage, ginger, chamomile tea, turmeric, garlic, tomato juice, linden, calendula, carrot with thyme and honey, honey, green tea and onion. To get rid of pharyngitis, it is also important to drink plenty of fluids, keep your throat warm, avoid smoking and allergens. Pharyngitis usually heals within 7-14 days. However, if the symptoms persist or are severe, you should consult a doctor.