Magnesium citrate is a form of magnesium that is obtained by combining magnesium and citric acid. Magnesium citrate is a supplement that increases the absorption and bioavailability of magnesium, which is vital for your body. What are the benefits of magnesium citrate? What does magnesium citrate do? How to use magnesium citrate? You can find the answers to these questions in this article.
What Is Magnesium and Why Is It Important?
Magnesium is one of the most important minerals in your body. Your body contains about 25 grams of magnesium and 60% of it is stored in bones, 40% in muscles and other tissues. Magnesium plays a role in more than 300 enzymatic reactions in your body and is essential for energy production, muscle contraction, nerve transmission, bone health, blood pressure regulation, blood sugar control and many other vital functions.
Magnesium deficiency can cause many problems in your body. Magnesium deficiency symptoms include muscle cramps, fatigue, weakness, insomnia, headache, migraine, depression, anxiety, heart rhythm disorders, osteoporosis and more. The causes of magnesium deficiency include inadequate nutrition, chronic stress, alcohol addiction, diabetes, kidney diseases and more.
You need to consume magnesium-rich foods to meet your magnesium needs. Magnesium sources include green leafy vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes and more. However, sometimes the magnesium intake from foods may not be enough or the absorption may decrease. In these cases, taking a magnesium supplement may be beneficial. Magnesium supplements come in different forms and one of the most effective ones is magnesium citrate.
What Is Magnesium Citrate and What Are Its Benefits?
Magnesium citrate is a form of magnesium that is obtained by combining magnesium and citric acid. Citric acid is an organic acid that is naturally found in citrus fruits and other fruits. Citric acid is a compound that increases the absorption and bioavailability of magnesium. Magnesium citrate dissolves easily in water, so it can be used in powder, capsule or liquid form. This also makes it an excellent source of dietary magnesium that absorbs readily into the bloodstream and bodily tissues. The benefits of magnesium citrate are:
- It relieves constipation: Magnesium citrate draws water into the intestines, softening the stool and facilitating its movement. This relieves constipation and cleanses the intestines. Magnesium citrate is sometimes used before colonoscopy or other bowel procedures as well.
- It prevents migraine: Magnesium citrate is an effective supplement for preventing migraine pain. Migraine pain occurs as a result of dilation and inflammation of blood vessels in the brain. Magnesium citrate helps relax blood vessels and reduce inflammation. It also regulates serotonin levels in the brain, reducing migraine triggers.
- It reduces muscle cramps: Magnesium citrate provides calcium and potassium balance that is needed for muscle contraction and relaxation. This reduces muscle cramps, especially nocturnal leg cramps. Magnesium citrate also relieves muscle pain and fatigue.
- It protects bone health: Magnesium citrate is a mineral that is found in bone structure and increases calcium absorption. Magnesium citrate increases bone density and reduces osteoporosis risk. It also synergizes with vitamin D, which strengthens bones.
- It supports heart health: Magnesium citrate regulates heart rhythm by regulating electrical signals that control heart timing. Magnesium citrate helps relax heart muscles and improve blood flow. It also regulates cholesterol levels and reduces heart disease risk.
- It protects against diabetes: Magnesium citrate contributes to insulin secretion and function, which is a hormone that regulates blood sugar levels. Magnesium citrate lowers blood sugar levels and reduces diabetes risk. It also helps prevent diabetes complications.
- It improves depression: Magnesium citrate contributes to neurotransmitter production and balance in the brain. Magnesium citrate increases serotonin levels, which are happiness hormones, and improves depression. It also reduces stress and anxiety.
- It reduces stress: Magnesium citrate lowers cortisol levels, which is a stress hormone, and reduces stress. It also helps relax the nervous system and fall asleep. It improves sleep quality and duration.
- It strengthens the immune system: Magnesium citrate contributes to the healthy functioning of the immune system. It supports the production of antibodies and white blood cells that protect against infections and inflammations. It also increases the absorption of other vitamins that strengthen the immune system, such as vitamin C.
How to Use Magnesium Citrate?
Magnesium citrate can be found in powder or liquid form. The way and dose of magnesium citrate use varies depending on the person’s age, weight, health condition and need. You should consult your doctor before using magnesium citrate. Generally, the daily dose of magnesium citrate is between 300-400 mg. The side effects of magnesium citrate include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and more. To prevent these side effects, it is recommended to take magnesium citrate after meals and with plenty of water.
Magnesium citrate is a supplement that increases the absorption and bioavailability of magnesium, which is vital for your body. The benefits of magnesium citrate include relieving constipation, preventing migraine, reducing muscle cramps, protecting bone health, supporting heart health, protecting against diabetes, improving depression, reducing stress and strengthening the immune system. You should consult your doctor before using magnesium citrate and take it in the appropriate dose. I hope this blog post has been helpful to you. For more information, you can visit our website. I wish you healthy days.