A Spicy and Aromatic Turkish Dish
Hello, food fans! Today I’m going to teach you how to make cauliflower curry, a spicy and aromatic Turkish dish that is made with cauliflower, onion, and curry powder. Cauliflower curry is a vegan and gluten-free dish that is high in vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants. It is also easy to make and requires only a few ingredients. Let’s learn more about this dish and how to make it at home!
History of Cauliflower Curry
Cauliflower curry is a variation of curry, a dish with a sauce seasoned with spices, mainly associated with South Asian cuisine. Curry originated in Central Asia, especially among the Turkic peoples, and spread to the Middle East, Balkans, South Asia, and other regions through trade and migration. There are many varieties of curry, with different ingredients, flavors, and colors. The choice of spices for each dish depends on regional cultural tradition and personal preferences.
Cauliflower curry is a Turkish version of curry that uses cauliflower instead of meat or vegetables. It is also known as körili karnabahar yemeği in Turkish. Cauliflower curry is a popular dish among vegetarians and vegans, as it provides a good source of plant-based nutrients and antioxidants. Cauliflower curry is also a budget-friendly dish, as cauliflower is cheap and widely available in Turkey. Cauliflower curry can be served as a main course or a side dish, with various sauces or salads on the side.
- For the cauliflower curry:
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 teaspoons of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 cup of hot water
- For the garnish (optional):
- Chopped parsley
- To make the cauliflower curry, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion slices and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and golden brown, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, red pepper flakes, cumin, and salt and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes to release the flavors of the spices.
- Add the cauliflower florets and stir to coat them with the onion and spice mixture. Add the hot water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the cauliflower is tender but still firm, for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Your cauliflower curry is ready to serve.
- To garnish, sprinkle with parsley and serve with yogurt on the side if desired.
- Enjoy your cauliflower curry hot or cold with some bread or rice on the side.
I hope you liked this recipe for cauliflower curry. It is one of my favorite Turkish dishes and I’m sure you will love it too. If you try it, let me know how it turned out in the comments below. And don’t forget to follow my blog for more delicious recipes from around the world. See you next time!