The Ultimate List of Recommendations
Gay relationships are not always portrayed in a positive and realistic way in books and movies. Sometimes, they are stereotyped, sensationalized, or trivialized. Sometimes, they are erased, censored, or vilified. Sometimes, they are doomed, tragic, or unhappy. However, there are also many books and movies that portray healthy gay relationships that are based on mutual love, respect, trust, and support. These books and movies can inspire, educate, entertain, and empower gay readers and viewers, as well as allies and advocates. They can also challenge, change, and celebrate the diverse and complex experiences and expressions of gay love and identity.
In this blog post, we will share some of the best books and movies that portray healthy gay relationships, based on the latest web search results. We will also provide some tips and criteria on how to find more books and movies that portray healthy gay relationships. Whether you are looking for romance, drama, comedy, fantasy, or any other genre, you will find something that suits your taste and preference.
Books That Portray Healthy Gay Relationships
Books are powerful tools that can transport us to different worlds, times, and places. They can also introduce us to different characters, stories, and perspectives. They can make us laugh, cry, think, feel, and learn. Here are some of the books that portray healthy gay relationships that you should not miss:
- Maurice by E.M. Forster: This is a classic novel that tells the story of Maurice Hall, a young man who falls in love with two men in early 20th-century England. He struggles with his sexuality and society’s expectations but eventually finds happiness and freedom with his true love. This novel was written in 1913 but published posthumously in 1971 due to its controversial subject matter1.
- Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston: This is a contemporary romance novel that tells the story of Alex Claremont-Diaz, the son of the first female president of the United States, who falls in love with Henry Mountbatten-Windsor, the prince of Wales. They have to deal with their political and personal challenges as well as their public and private lives. This novel is a bestseller and a winner of multiple awards2.
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz: This is a young adult novel that tells the story of Aristotle Mendoza and Dante Quintana, two Mexican American boys who become friends and more in 1980s Texas. They explore their identities, families, cultures, and feelings as they grow up and face various obstacles and opportunities. This novel is also a bestseller and a winner of multiple awards3.
Movies That Portray Healthy Gay Relationships
Movies are powerful tools that can show us different images, sounds, and emotions. They can also tell us different stories, messages, and meanings. They can entertain us, move us, surprise us, and teach us. Here are some of the movies that portray healthy gay relationships that you should not miss:
- Bound (1996): This is a thriller movie that tells the story of Corky, an ex-con who falls in love with Violet, the girlfriend of a mobster. They hatch a plan to steal $2 million from the mob and run away together. They have to face danger, suspense, and betrayal as they try to escape and survive. This movie is directed by Lana and Lilly Wachowski, who later became famous for The Matrix trilogy.
- The Thing About Harry (2020): This is a romantic comedy movie that tells the story of Sam and Harry, two former high school rivals who reunite as young adults after they both come out as gay. They develop an unexpected attraction and relationship as they deal with their past and present issues. This movie is produced by Freeform, a cable network that aims to appeal to young adults.
- Ammonite (2020): This is a historical drama movie that tells the story of Mary Anning, a renowned paleontologist who falls in love with Charlotte Murchison, a geologist’s wife in 19th-century England. They have to cope with their personal and professional challenges as well as their social and cultural constraints. This movie stars Kate Winslet and Saoirse Ronan, two acclaimed actresses.
How to Find More Books and Movies That Portray Healthy Gay Relationships
If you want to find more books and movies that portray healthy gay relationships, you can use some of these tips and criteria:
- Use online databases and websites that specialize in LGBTQ+ books and movies, such as Goodreads, IMDb, GLAAD, Lambda Literary, etc. They can provide you with lists, reviews, ratings, awards, etc., of LGBTQ+ books and movies that you can browse and search .
- Use online search engines and tools that can help you find LGBTQ+ books and movies based on your keywords, preferences, filters, etc., such as Google, Bing, Amazon, Netflix, etc. They can provide you with results, suggestions, recommendations, etc., of LGBTQ+ books and movies that you can explore and discover .
- Use your own judgment and taste to evaluate the quality and suitability of the LGBTQ+ books and movies that you find. You can use some of these criteria to help you:
- The LGBTQ+ characters and relationships are portrayed in a positive and realistic way, without stereotypes, sensationalism, or trivialization.
- The LGBTQ+ characters and relationships are central and relevant to the plot, theme, and message of the book or movie, not just a side note or a token.
- The LGBTQ+ characters and relationships face challenges and difficulties that are common and relatable to the LGBTQ+ community, but also overcome them with strength, resilience, and support.
- The LGBTQ+ characters and relationships experience happiness and fulfillment that are deserved and realistic for the LGBTQ+ community, not just a fantasy or a tragedy.
We hope that this blog post has helped you find some of the best books and movies that portray healthy gay relationships, as well as some tips and criteria on how to find more. Whether you are gay or not, reading and watching these books and movies can enrich your knowledge, understanding, empathy, and appreciation of the diverse and complex experiences and expressions of gay love and identity. They can also inspire, educate, entertain, and empower you to celebrate and embrace your own love and identity.
1: Maurice (novel) – Wikipedia
2: Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
3: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Bound (1996 film) – Wikipedia
The Thing About Harry (TV Movie 2020) – IMDb
Ammonite (2020) – IMDb
Goodreads | Meet your next favorite book
IMDb: Ratings, Reviews, and Where to Watch the Best Movies & TV Shows
GLAAD Media Awards | GLAAD
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more
Netflix – Watch TV Shows Online, Watch Movies Online