Make authentic Turkish döner kebab at home with this easy and delicious recipe. Learn how to recreate the flavors of Istanbul with step-by-step instructions and simple ingredients. Perfect for a tasty and satisfying meal that’s sure to impress. Get cooking today!
Turkish döner is a popular dish made from marinated meat that is cooked on a vertical rotisserie and shaved off in thin slices. The meat is typically lamb, beef, or chicken, and is seasoned with a blend of spices, including paprika, cumin, and oregano. The cooked meat is usually served in a pita or wrap with fresh vegetables, yogurt sauce, and sometimes pickles or hot sauce.
Döner is a staple of Turkish street food and is also commonly found in restaurants and fast food chains. The dish is popular not only in Turkey but also in many other countries around the world. Its origins can be traced back to the Ottoman Empire, where it was originally made with lamb and served as a lavish feast for sultans and their guests. Today, döner is enjoyed by people of all backgrounds and is a beloved part of Turkish cuisine.
Homemade Turkish Döner Recipe
- 500 grams ground beef or lamb
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red pepper paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Fresh onions, parsley, and pickles for serving
- Grate the onion and garlic and mix with the ground meat.
- Add tomato paste and red pepper paste and mix well.
- Add vegetable oil, salt, black pepper, cumin, and red pepper flakes and mix again.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 2 hours.
- Heat a döner pan over medium heat and place the meat mixture in the pan.
- Press the meat down with a wooden spoon to make it compact and cook.
- While cooking, turn the meat over to make sure it cooks evenly on all sides.
- Serve with fresh onions, parsley, and pickles as garnish.
With this recipe, you can make a delicious Turkish döner at home. Enjoy!